SPRINGFIELD — Outlined below are steps the Rauner administration is initiating Tuesday in order to begin balancing the Madigan-Cullerton budget. The administration says many additional steps will be announced as they are finalized.
Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
- Immediate suspension of all future incentive offers to companies for business attraction and retention.o This includes EDGE Tax Credits, Large Business Attraction Grants, Employer Training Investment Program Incentive Grants and Prime Sites Grants.
- Will defer application approvals for film tax credits and High Impact Business designations.
- All commitments previously made in any of these programs will be honored.
- Prepare and provide notice for the July 1 suspension of the State Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (SLIHEAP).
- The federal portion of the program, funded at about $170 million, will continue.
Department of Transportation
- In light of the state’s current fiscal crisis and a lack of sufficient capital resources, the Illiana Expressway will not move forward at this time. As a result, the Illinois Department of Transportation will remove the project from its current multi-year plan. It is the determination of IDOT that the project costs exceed currently available resources. The Department will begin the process of suspending all existing project contracts and procurements.
- Beginning July 1, the Department will “ground” all state plane passenger service. Planes will be maintained and available for emergency services.
Department of Juvenile Justice
- Begin the process of identifying one or two juvenile correctional facilities for closure.· Juvenile system has a surplus of capacity
- Capacity at approximately 1,200 beds, with less than 700 occupied.
Department of Corrections
- Begin the process of closing the Hardin County Work Campo Approximately 180 inmates will be moved
- Approximately 60 Work Camp staff affected
Department of Healthcare and Family Services
- Implement an audit review of nursing home reimbursements to ensure payments comply with recently implemented new rate structure.
- Recover overpayments to nursing homes and implement financial penalties for improper billings.
Illinois State Police
- Immediately freeze all vehicle purchases.
Department on Aging
- File emergency rules to enact means testing to Aging’s Community Care Program. No income limit currently exists.
- Increase the Determination of Need (DON) Score required to obtain services through Aging’s Community Care Program
Department of Human Services
- DHS will pursue cost control strategies through emergency rules to the Childcare Program:o Increase copays for parents using the program; ando Freeze intake and create waiting lists.
- DHS will also begin background checks for relatives providing child care. Background checks are currently required for child care licensed centers, group homes and non-relatives who provide care.
Department of Natural Resources
- The Department will not award Open Space Land Acquisition Development Grants in FY16.
- The Department will begin the process to suspend operations and close the five state museums to visitors. The state will continue to maintain and secure the museums to protect the artifacts and exhibits.