Weekend fire destroys rural Vernon home

VERNON — A weekend fire destroyed a home in rural Vernon near the Marion County/Fayette County line.

The modular home belonging to Troy Perkins was almost completely destroyed upon firefighters’ arrival and had apparently been burning for quite a while before it was discovered around 2:20 Saturday afternoon.

Smoke from the home just one mile east of U.S. 51 could be seen from the north end of Patoka, with one firefighter seeing the smoke 20-30 minutes before the call was received.

Firefighters were able to save one outbuilding near the home and kept the fire contained so it wouldn’t spread to other outbuildings on the property.

The Perkins family was on vacation at the time of the fire that may have been caused by an electrical problem. The State Fire Marshal’s Office will be on scene, today.

Sandoval firefighters provided mutual aid at the scene, with firefighters completing the call just after 5 p.m. Saturday.