CENTREVILLE, Ill. – Five firefighters from the Camp Jackson Fire Department suffered minor injuries Friday afternoon while battling a fire at a vacant house in Centreville.
According to the St. Clair County Emergency Management Agency Facebook page, the fire call came in around 4:30 p.m.
When firefighters arrived on scene heavy smoke and flames had already caused extensive damage to the home that was ultimately destroyed by the fire.
Hot and humid temperatures, along with the intense heat from the fire, led three firefighters to become overheated and another to suffer chest pains. A fifth firefighter suffered an electrical shock while pulling a hose.
Four of the injured firefighters were checked out and released, while a fifth remained in stable condition at a local hospital. Church Road, Alorton, Cahokia, Prairie Du Pont and St.Clair County Emergency Services assisted at the scene.
Firefighters said it didn’t appear that the owners were home when the fire started.
The Illinois State Fire Marshal was called to assist with the investigation.