ODIN — A man was airlifted with severe burns today from the scene of a house explosion in Odin, while a woman was reported dead at the scene.
Just before 1:40 Friday afternoon, an explosion was reported in the 100 block of Laury Street in Odin that leveled the home.
Two medical aircraft were dispatched to the scene, and landed behind the high school. Students were kept in the building during that time.
The explosion caused the home to collapse, and first responders had to search the rubble for the female victim who died at the scene.
According to Marion County Coroner Troy Cannon, an autopsy is being scheduled for the deceased woman either this weekend or Monday.
He is awaiting family notification of next of kin before releasing the identities of the man and woman.
Cannon says the Office of the State Fire Marshal has been called in and is leading an investigation into the explosion that is currently being blamed on a possible gas leak.
The explosion is believed to have been caused by a gas leak and Ameren was called. Neighbors are reporting the explosion was felt across town and resulted in broken windows on nearby homes.
Lowry Street is closed. Centralia Fire Protection District, which provided mutual aid, recommends avoiding Odin until further notice. They note that emergency crews are working in extremely hot and humid temperatures.