Child playing with lighter likely cause of fire at Centralia duplex

CENTRALIA — A child playing with a cigarette lighter is suspected of starting a fire Wednesday that destroyed one unit of a Marion County Housing Authority duplex.

According to Centralia City firefighters, a resident of the unit in the 1000 block of Maulding Drive said her 6-year-old son woke her around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday and said his bed was on fire.

The fire reportedly spread quickly through the unit causing approximately $20,000 in damage.

According to fire officials, the boy admitted to setting a pillow on fire.

All available Centralia City firefighters were called in to help fight the fire, which they were able to keep from reaching the other unit of the duplex. Both units, however, did suffer smoke and water damage.