Sunday morning fire destroys Mt. Vernon home

MOUNT VERNON — An early Sunday morning fire has destroyed a Mt. Vernon home.

Residents of the home at 917 Perkins were able to safely escape the home and call the fire department to report the fire.

Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy flames visible. Despite a quick knockdown of the fire inside the home, multiple ceilings from remodeling made it difficult to extinguish the fire that had spread to the attic and out the roof.

Heavy fire, smoke and water damage was reported throughout the home. It’s believed the fire started near the kitchen stove.

Firefighters from Mt. Vernon were on scene from about 4:15 a.m. until around 7 a.m. Sunday morning. Jefferson Rural Fire Department provided mutual aid assistance.

An investigation into the blaze is ongoing. No injuries were reported and Red Cross has been contacted to assist the family.