Authorities identify man killed by poison gas while trying to unclog drain

JACKSON COUNTY — The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office has released the name of the man who died Tuesday afternoon after he mixed commercial drain cleaner with bleach in an attempt to clear a clogged drain at a home in Grand Tower.

The man is 68-year-old Alvin S. Heggie.

A sheriff’s office report says when Heggie mixed the two chemicals together; it created a poisonous gas that killed him. He was not able to get out of the home and was pronounced dead at the scene.

A woman at the home, 67-year-old Eileen L. Hudgins, called 911 and was able to get out of the home due to the fast thinking of the dispatcher who realized the deadly exposure occurred. She is currently in stable condition at a St. Louis area hospital.