SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Senate President John Cullerton says Democrats had little choice but to approve a budget proposal on their own after a compromise package with Republicans failed last week.

A $37.3 billion spending outline funded by a $5.4 billion tax increase was OK’d Tuesday in the Senate without a single Republican vote. Cullerton couldn’t lure any GOP votes last week when he sought endorsement of a budget plan that had even more spending cuts initiated by Republicans.

The Chicago Democrat told reporters the budget and even the tax increases were “the product of negotiations with Republicans.”

Republicans didn’t support the budget or tax increase because they were seeking a trade for a property tax freeze and cost-reductions to the workers’ compensation program. Those are among “structural” changes GOP Gov. Bruce Rauner has sought.