Young boy chokes to death on marshmallow at Carlyle Lake campground

CARLYLE LAKE (AP) — Authorities in southern Illinois say a 6-year-old Champaign boy choked to death on part of marshmallow while at a private campground on Carlyle Lake.

Bond County Coroner Tony Brooks says Jeremiah M. Woods was at a picnic table with his family at Hickory Shores Resort when he became unresponsive. The Belleville News Democrat reports that happened after the boy took a bite out of a large marshmallow. The resort is near Keyesport.

First responders took the boy to Greenville Regional Hospital about 20 miles away. The boy was pronounced dead there late Saturday. Results from a Monday autopsy weren’t immediately available.